Senior Sendoff #Classof2020

Tomas Alba: Humble and Dedicated

Art & Entertainment editor for the Jag Journal, Tomas “Tommy” Alba, has been a dedicated journalism student since his freshman year. He is set to graduate via live stream with his fellow Segerstrom classmates Wednesday evening.  Even though graduation will be virtual and senior activities canceled, this moment is not lost on Tomas.

“Having been a part of the journalism program for my entire four years of high school, it feels almost surreal to be at the end and saying good-bye. This has been an experience that I will never forget, and I will carry the Segerstrom Jag Journal with me everywhere I go.”

Tomas fondly looks back as he looks forward to his future. This is quintessential Tomas, reflective and insightful, and his influence will be missed by the Jag Journal staff. Current co-editor-in-chief, Alexa Perez (11) has worked with Tomas for the past three years and understands how his professionalism and demeanor uphold the values of the staff. 

“He was there since my first year of journalism and always had the biggest smile on his face. He loved this class and you could tell by how much effort he put into his work. He will be missed by all of us and we wish him the best.”

On any given day, Tomas could be seen helping new journalism students find interesting story angles or helping them write articles, while at the same time being responsible for editing articles for his section and researching/writing his own articles. This balancing act could overwhelm even the most seasoned journalist, but Tomas worked his way up to this position and knows the value of struggling. Tomas is the first to admit that it took him time to develop as a writer.

“My first year in Journalism was slow, and I didn’t feel like writing articles was something I wanted to do. Four years later, and it has turned into something I love.”

He developed this passion over time and through experience and gives credit where credit is due. He attributes his success to working with Mrs. Altamirano, the former journalism teacher, who mentored Tomas during his first three years in journalism. When asked to share a few words about his former advisor, here’s what Tomas said:

“Thank you Mrs. Altamirano for having taught me everything that I know today. It is because of you that I fell in love with this class. You not only welcomed me into the journalism program, but you welcomed me into something that became a family.”

As the Jag Journal evolved this year, with a new advisor and now being published online, Tomas had not missed a step and kept Jag Journal family traditions alive amidst the change. Tomas contributed because that is Tomas. No matter what obstacle the staff faced, his humble nature and ability to work with anyone helped improve the morale and moved production forward. His influence will always be a part of the Jag Journal family. Congratulations, Tomas!