Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Truly Devious book review

Image courtesy of Nataly Macuil
The Segerstrom library staff set up a display featuring several books, including Truly Devious and its sequels.

This past spring, students at Segerstrom High School received free copies of Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson. This novel served as the school’s summer reading book; it was not mandatory, but highly encouraged. Readers were immediately swept into a world of suspense and unforgettable twists.

Truly Devious follows Stephanie “Stevie” Bell, an aspiring detective who must adjust to a new school, while grappling with an unraveling mystery. The novel tackles topics like friendship, family, anxiety, and romance. Immediately upon its release, it was nominated for several awards and rapidly cemented itself as an exciting read for teens.

Stevie Bell is fascinated by true crime, though the Ellingham case, in particular, haunts her. This case occurred during the 1930s at Ellingham Academy, a prestigious boarding school for talented high school students. Determined to solve this case, Stevie applies to the academy and is accepted. As she acclimates, strange incidents occur, until one of her classmates is found dead. Stevie must race to solve a decades-old mystery as well as the one unfolding before her eyes.

My thoughts on this book are undoubtedly positive. I had low expectations; I don’t typically enjoy mysteries. However, Stevie’s adventures were addictive and thrilling. Additionally, I fell in love with the boarding school setting and the charming descriptions of rural Vermont. The only aspect of the novel I didn’t entirely like was the romance; it felt forced and lackluster. However, the book is still highly enjoyable and immersive.

Truly Devious features many likable characters, including introverted Nate, responsible Janelle, and artistic Ellie. They’re well-developed and often entertaining to read about. Stevie herself is also a well-written character. She is intelligent and ambitious, but her struggles with anxiety ground her and make her more realistic. 

Many readers were shocked when they finished reading this book. The ending was rather abrupt and unresolved because Truly Devious is the first in a trilogy. Those who enjoyed reading about Stevie and Ellingham Academy’s mysteries should consider delving into the sequels.

View Comments (4)