Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Sunset Concert

Image courtesy Ana Ramos
Musicians gather around Segerstrom’s senior plaza to perform their final concert of the school year.

To end on a good note, Segerstrom’s ‘Marching Jags’ came together to end the school year with one more spectacular performance. On April 25, 2024, our students in the Marching and Jazz Band of Segerstrom High School came together and performed a collaboration with Valley and Saddleback High School.  

Entering a new scenery, the ‘Marching Jags’ performed outside in the Senior Plaza to share a performance alongside Valley’s Band & Orchestra, and Saddleback’s Band. These students are used to performing in different environments but have usually been indoors. However, students and family members were thrilled to view an enhanced performance outside the theater. It truly reflected the hard work these students put in the year. Playing pieces such as “New Horizon Overtures” by Jim Mahaffey, “La Sorella” by Charles Borel-Clerc, and “Blessed Are They” by Johannes Brahms, these talented musicians amazed the audience and had an amazing night. Segerstrom Band’s advanced flute player, Nichole Brown (12) explains her views on the performance.   

Brown says, “It was good, the songs were a lot of fun, a bit challenging, but getting to play outside made it worth it and super fun [and] honestly I loved the change of scenery. We don’t get to play outside and in a way, it was sort of peaceful”. This musician shows just how this event advanced her love for what she does to contribute to our school.  

As mentioned, the Marching Jags had two special guest schools to perform alongside them, Valley’s Band and Orchestra, and Saddleback’s Band. These musicians performed for our audience and their loved ones. Getting a perspective from Drumline Captain and Alto Saxophone senior, Richard Hernandez (12) adds, “I always enjoy playing with other schools because it’s cool to see how each band grows over the years, and since we see them throughout the school year such as we grow bonds with people in other bands, so it’s fun to see them.” Hernandez’s experience in the band for all four years reflects these musicians’ enjoyment.  

There was clear excitement among these musicians as they got to reflect on their skills and ended the year with the opportunity to perform with other schools. They were able to showcase their exceptional talent while having an incredible night. Hopefully, Segerstrom’s Marching Jags experience another wonderful event like the Sunset Concert next season.