Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

The popularity of spooky baskets

Image courtesy of Celeste Carmona
Boo Baskets have gained a lot of popularity in the last few weeks as fun and spooky gift.

Throughout October, you may have seen different types of baskets around school. These baskets are called Boo Baskets or Spooky Baskets. They are baskets filled with gifts and treats/snacks. These baskets are specifically made for people’s friends or significant others.

“Personally, I love making spooky baskets because it’s really fun and my boyfriend loves it,” said Jazmin Caratachea (11). 

Boo Baskets are super easy to make. You can buy supplies anywhere, but the most popular stores are Walmart, Target, Five Below, Dollar Tree, and Ross. The baskets will contain tiny gifts like books, candles, and skincare products. Other additions to the Boo Basket can even be blankets or matching pajama sets. The baskets will also contain treats like their favorite candies, chips, and other goodies. Once a person got all the supplies, they organized the baskets to make sure everything fit, and some people decorated the baskets with a type of theme. For example, some people will put cotton on the basket to look like spider webs.

“I’m decorating my girlfriend’s basket with a Scream theme and it’s filled with her favorite candy, a blanket, and some skin care with makeup,” said Daniel Sanchez (11).

Platforms like Tiktok and Instagram are where this Boo Basket trend was first introduced. During the pandemic in 2020, Boo Baskets became popular as a means to surprise your significant other or friends with treats and items related to the fall season. This trend has become increasingly well-known and appealing because of TikTok. Boo Baskets have been considered the ideal surprise gift for loved ones and have received a lot of attention on social media platforms, making it the perfect Halloween gift.

“I actually did not know that Spooky Baskets was a thing until it was all over my for-you-page on Tiktok,” said Fatima Ochoa (9).

Not only do Spooky Baskets make unique and thrilling gifts, but they also provide a wide range of personalization options, which has led to their growth in popularity. Adding personal touches and incorporating some of your loved one’s favorite items create the appeal of this trend. Spooky Baskets are seen by many as an entertaining and festive way to celebrate Halloween. Every October, this trend gains popularity as a means of welcoming the Halloween and fall seasons.

View Comments (2)