Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Keeping Segerstrom clean, one day at a time

Image Courtesy of Joshua Vu
As head custodian, German Ruvalcaba works hard to keep Segerstrom clean.

For more than 26 years, German Ruvalcaba has dedicated his time and energy to SAUSD. Throughout the years, Mr. Ruvalcaba has kept Segerstrom a clean campus. Since Segerstrom’s opening in 2005, he has been pivotal as our head custodian, yet Mr. Ruvalcaba had a unique past before joining Segerstrom.

“I worked for a wire company, [that] used to be called Barcel Wiring and Cable. We used to do all kinds of wire insulations for airplanes. We used to supply to Boeing and MacDonald Douglas, all [the] wiring for their airplanes,” Mr. Ruvalcaba remarked. “However, the pay wasn’t much, so I opted to transfer to a private school. That’s where I started as a maintenance worker, but I also did custodial [work] as well.”

Because both jobs did not provide adequate benefits or pay for Ruvalcaba, he would eventually transition from maintenance to custodial work at the District Office. After several years at the District Office, he transferred to become the Head Custodian of a public high school.

“I was assisting with all the requests from the office personnel, the Superintendent, and taking care of the facility myself.” Mr. Ruvalcava described “I had a meeting with [the principal and]. she said, ‘When you come back, don’t report to your former site, go to your new site.”

Unbeknownst to Mr. Ruvalcaba, he would transfer to the newly built Segerstrom High School. Although he enjoyed his time at the District Office, Mr. Ruvalcaba was up for the challenge. His first day was in July 2005, and it was extremely chaotic. Despite the stress and confusion, it became a memory for Mr. Ruvalcaba.

“When we barely started, it was so hectic, there [wasn’t anything] in the classrooms. We received all the furniture for the classrooms, but it was all delivered to the English building. We had to deliver them to all the other buildings. And everybody was helping out, that was very memorable to me. There were a lot of good memories and a lot of sad memories too.”

Mr. Ruvalcaba’s work has never gone unnoticed. From students to teachers, many have only praise and admiration for his efforts. With our Associated Student Body going above and beyond at events, he has always been there to help in so many ways.

“German is very helpful of course, he is always working very hard. I think everyone on campus always sees him. I’ve learned how to work better with German and the staff to make these events successful,” ASB Advisor and Segerstrom alumni, Cesar Garcia commented. “And he is willing to do it, no matter how crazy the request is when I give him enough time. He is happy to do it. He’s great with the kids too, the kids appreciate him, and he’s an overall great person to have on campus. He’s been here for so long, and you can tell that he has pride in what he does.”

Both Mr. Garcia and Mr. Ruvalcaba are essential to ASB due to their hard work. Mr. Ruvalcaba has wanted to address his appreciation for ASB and being able to work closely with them. “I would like to comment on how good most of the students are here. I know ASB, [they’re] the ones doing the most activities, … [they’re] are awesome.” Mr. Ruvalcaba adds.

Besides always being there for ASB, Mr. Ruvalcaba is always assisting in plumbing, drywalling, painting, and lighting for our school. He always remains positive with everyone and is very humble about his work. Mr. Ruvalcaba has been here from day one and is a part of Segerstrom’s history. And he will be cemented into the hearts and minds of students and teachers alike.

“He is the glue that literally and figuratively holds this school together. He is one of the nicest, most hardworking, most conscientious, and most helpful people at Segerstrom High School.” AP Government & Economics Teacher, Sean Decker comments. “And I think that Segerstrom High School would be as it was without German being here. He helps everyone on a daily basis; staff members, teachers, [and] students. He is one of the most thoughtful [and] diligent people on our campus.”

It is profound by everyone at Segerstrom for the care and love Mr. Ruvalcaba provides to the school every day. He is beloved across campus for all of his hard work. We are proud to have the determination and effort he provides Segerstrom every day. An additional goal for Mr. Ruvalcaba is motivating students to be the best they can be, especially when he advises students.

“The advice would be to try and keep the campus in good standing because every newcomer wants to find the school attractive, safe, and [in] a good environment.” Mr. Ruvalcaba advised. “My advice is to do the best that you can to try and keep it up. I know that regularly, it will deteriorate, but if we take care of it, we can avoid that.”

View Comments (6)