Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Senior Sendoff #Classof2024:Jocelyn Alvarez-Garcia

Image courtesy of Jocelyn Alvarez
Jocelyn Alvarez, a graduating senior who is smiling as she holds up her certificate of College Bound scholarship and a Disney gift card.

Coming to the end of high school, Jocelyn has spent her last year as the Arts & Entertainment Editor for Segerstrom News. She has loved being around people that she can talk to and throughout her years in high school has created goals that she hopes to accomplish in the future. Jocelyn is a very ambitious, level-headed and independent but approachable woman. She has taken use of her free time to dance and run, but most recently has enjoyed ice-skating as well. 

1) What is/are your favorite memory(ies) of Segerstrom?

My favorite day-to-day memories at Segerstrom probably have to be the random lunchtime talks I’ve had with friends. However, over the years, my all-time favorite memories would have to be the community service events I’ve helped with both on and off campus such as the OC Marathon with CSF and working food booths with club members. Also the everyday shenanigans of yearbook class especially after we were done with it.  

2) How has your high school experience at Segerstrom shaped your life?

My time here at Segerstrom has taught me the importance of maturing. I have built goals here that I intend to follow through to after high school. Any relationship I have lost has taught me that the people you surround yourself with say more about you than anything else. 

3) What are your plans after high school graduation?

After high school, I am planning to attend a 4-year university for my undergraduate degree, either the University of Southern California or the University of California Santa Barbara. I will major in Political Science with a minor in English and I plan to intern with local firms if not working my way through university. After University I plan to attend law school and graduate with my JD.  

4) What is one piece of advice you would give to an incoming freshman? 

I would want incoming freshmen to know that they have no idea what’s to come. No matter how prepared they might feel, nothing works out as planned, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work out so stop worrying so much and just let go.