Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Engineering teacher to receive his drone license

Image Courtesy by Bellasophia Padron
Mr. Woods stands proudly in front of his Drone Zone board.

In the summer of 2022, Engineering teacher Adam Woods took an introductory course about drones at Fullerton College. This was a sixteen-week course that gave an introduction to drones and more information about the world of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

During this course, Woods learned the skills of data acquisition, processing techniques for mapping, and the principles of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS).

After completing the sixteen-week training course, he dedicated time to studying for the exam. This exam was a 60-question multiple choice and the minimum passing grade to obtain a license is 70%. This test is similar to a written test for a driver’s license before taking the exam.

“Taking the exam determines on making a logical guess or either knowing it or not,” said Woods.

Once he receives his license, he will have a 2-year waiting period before he has to renew the license. To renew his license, he will need to take an online test that is free of charge if he passes the test. If not then there will be a charge of $175 to retake the test. This is because every couple of years there is new information proceeding with the drones and new technology that have developments with them.

“It’s really amazing to see new developments and possibilities as to what we can do to help with the drones,” he added.

With a drone license, there are two categories; Commercial and Recreational Fliers. A recreational flier is a person who knows how to use a drone but only flies it for fun. Commercial drone fliers have access to special insurance. The rule is that when using this type of drone, it needs to be lit, by law, with special lights called anti-collision lights.

When having a drone license there are benefits to having more access to certain locations on where to fly them. Such as wanting to get a look at a place, but there is a height limitation when flying drones. There are height restrictions when flying drones in certain areas and there will need to be a Further coronation request, which asks for permission to go over the height limitation of 400 feet. All this will need to be approved by the FAA.

Through the course at Fullerton and receiving his drone license, Mr. Woods is in the process of allowing students to take a course on this topic with CTE. This process goes into connecting with community colleges and having the students being supported through this course as well as exams being charged free. This in-process program gives the students information about AeroSpace and the ability to get a license.

Mr Woods wants to inspire his students to be as passionate about engineering as he is. “I want students who are interested in this type of technology, or in this portion of job space, to learn more and pursue it.”

View Comments (9)