Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Seniors prepare for life after high school

Image courtesy of Adriana Huezo
College representatives visit Segerstrom to inform prospective applicants about higher education.

It’s the time of year for festivities and cheer. Christmas music is played constantly and presents are purchased as the community prepares for the holiday season. However, Segerstrom’s seniors are also preparing for a more life-altering occasion: graduation.

Deadlines for senior quotes, financial aid forms, and college applications are all reminders that high school is nearly over for the class of 2024. In six months, these students will face the unpredictability of adulthood.

“I’ll miss not having adult responsibilities,” says Julie Perez (12). “I like being able to hang out with friends every day. I’ll miss that freedom.”

Many seniors approach graduation with excitement. Anticipation for their future college or career fuels them to embrace the drastic changes. Others look forward to graduating simply for the fresh start it promises; negative high school experiences can be put to rest.

“I look forward to not being in high school,” remarks Sara Flores (12). “I am excited to explore new opportunities and pursue higher education.”

However, leaving Segerstrom is dreaded by some. The stable predictability of high school can be comforting, and leaving it behind might seem daunting. In addition, many seniors are unwilling to part with friends they see every day.

“I’ll miss my friends and some teachers that have taught me, but I’m excited to leave school,” comments Grey Wilson (12).

Regardless of whether students are eager or anxious about graduating and adjusting to a new way of living, change is inherently difficult. Furthermore, navigating college applications and career choices can be confusing. However, seniors have access to an abundance of resources and support. Guidance is offered at the Higher Education Center, and clubs make for steady support systems. Participating in preferred hobbies can also quell the nerves some may feel about moving on.

Change is inevitable for seniors. In the meantime, many find comfort in savoring their high school experience while they can.

“It is what it is,” adds Perez. “I’ll enjoy what I have right now.”

View Comments (15)