Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Winter festivities across the world

Image courtesy of Jonathan Borba via Unsplash
85% of Americans observe Christmas, making it the most celebrated winter holiday. However, there are many other holidays that take place in the month of December.

As winter break approaches, the majority of students are preparing to celebrate during that time. There are several reasons to celebrate, mainly because December is full of numerous holidays celebrated by different religions and regions.

Saint Nicholas Day, December 5th

Along with Christmas, numerous European Nations have celebrated Saint Nicholas Day. They were originating from the Bishop of Myra, St. Nicholas, with his tradition of giving to the well-behaved and the less fortunate. Some Americans of European descent still commemorate the event for its practice of good morals.

Hanukkah, December 7th – December 15th

Known as the Festival of Rededication/Festival of Lights, it was dedicated to the liberation of the Temple of Jerusalem. In 164 BCE, the Jews of Judea revolted against the Syrian Greeks to reclaim their temple. After a victorious revolt, the Jews used oil that was meant to last a day, but that oil lasted for eight days. This is the origin of the eight-day tradition. Every year, families light their menorah, an eight-branched candle holder, by lighting one candle each night. In honor of that night, they eat oil-cooked foods, as a symbolic gesture. Additionally, there are prayers, Christmas-inspired gift-giving, and even playing the Dreidel.

Bodhi Day, December 8th

In the story of Buddha, Indian Prince Siddhartha Gautama pursues his path towards enlightenment. At the end of his pursuits, Prince Siddhartha would remain at a fig tree until he became enlightened. That fig tree would be known as a Bodhi Tree, and Prince Siddhartha would become Budda / the Awakened One. This year, December 8th is considered Buddha’s day of enlightenment, during which Buddhists spend time praying or decorating their bodhi tree. Beyond that, there is no public celebration as it is just recognized by Buddhists.

Saint Lucia Day, December 13th

Primarily in Scandinavia, they honor the Saint as she was executed by the Romans. This was due to her religious beliefs and stealing food for persecuted Christians. It’s commemorated on December 13th as that was the Winter Solstice on the Julian Calendar. Which is when the Sun is the furthest away from the Earth, creating the longest night. Scandinavians marked St. Lucia Day as the beginning of the Christmas season. Some recreate this event, leading children with a white robe and candles. Enjoying baked goods during that time as a way to honor her.

Christmas, December 25th

Although there were originally debates about the birth of Jesus Christ, it would eventually be decided by the Christian Church. Afterward, charity work and attending church became a tradition for Christmas. In 1822, many Dutch families in New York honored the death of Saint Nicholas, bringing the gift-giving traditions of St. Nicholas to the US. This inspired minister Clement Moore’s “Twas a Night Before Christmas” and political cartoonist Thomas Nast’s illustration of Saint Nicholas. Both of them majorly influenced the Santa Claus for Christmas today. This portrayal of Santa Claus was popular due to Coca-Cola’s advertising campaign in 1931. Using Thomas Nast’s reference to their branding of white and red, Santa Claus became a recognizable icon across the globe. Christmas hasn’t drastically changed since then, and the traditions have been cemented in America’s most celebrated holiday.

Kwanzaa, December 26th – January 1st

As the most recently instated holiday, Kwanzaa focuses on African-American Heritage. As a non-religious holiday established in 1966, it highlights the importance of family and community. It was created by activist Maulana Karenga. There are noticeable gift exchanges and cuisines reflecting African-American culture. Any religion can observe the event due to Kwanzaa being a cultural rather than a religious holiday.  Kwanzaa and Hanukkah have similar themes with the daily lighting of each candle. The candles represent the past, present, and future. With even more in-depth themes of; self-determination, unity, responsibility, cooperation, self-purpose, creativity, and faith.

These holidays are separate, related, or even influence each other, but they are special to those who celebrate them. And there are many reasons to enjoy winter break, but no matter the reason, it’s a festive time to relax or have fun.

View Comments (22)