Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

The Segerstrom Alumni Association: “Once a Jaguar, always a Jaguar.”

Image courtesy of the Segerstrom Alumni Association via SAA website
The alumni association has been working towards connecting alumni throughout the 2023-2024 year.

The Segerstrom Alumni Association has been around for over a decade. It consists of students from the Class of 2005 and beyond, who have been more proactive last semester than in any other year. They allow our former students to remain in contact with Segerstrom.

Christine Tran, ASB President from 2008 to 2009, is one of the few former students who organized this association. She eventually turned over the leadership position to Madeleine Nguyen, ASB Class President from 2009 to 2010. After aiming to improve the association, Cesar Garcia earned the position in 2023.

“The purpose [of] the association is to maintain communication with the alumni and staff. It’s meant to be a way to connect alumni with the school,” stated ASB Activities Director, Mr. Garcia. “In theory, the alumni association would figure out a way to fundraise on their own. They would make their own money [to] purchase things for events and eventually do a scholarship.”

The association has been mildly successful in selling apparel and even held a reunion on September 7th, 2019. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they have been relatively inactive until this year. Since being provided the role, Mr. Garcia has worked on revitalizing the association.

“It kind of just fell on my lap as the Activities Director. I don’t recall an activities director being in charge of it,” Mr. Garcia remarked. “It’s not a job duty of mine, but I am passionate about the school, and I am passionate about alumni. So I don’t mind taking over it. I would like to form a group of alumni in the future who can help run it.”

Most alumni associations are independent or work with a school. With Mr. Garcia as the school’s Activities Director, this provides him with more work, but also more opportunities for the association. Events for alumni are a way to unite them. This year, they began with an Alumni Tailgate which was before the Segerstrom vs. St. Bernard football game.

“My goal was to start reigniting a spirit of alumni togetherness and pride,” Mr. Garcia commented. “[But] when you are just coming back from a hiatus of over five or six years, it’s not going to be the most successful thing. I would say eight to ten alumni came, which is better than nothing.”

They even worked with the AVID program, as several alumni volunteered as guest speakers for the students. As a result of his efforts, Mr. Garcia hopes the association can have a strong presence on campus. Throughout this year, he wants to expand with more active involvement. The hopeful expansion ranges from more school events to eventually creating an alumni scholarship for Segerstrom. There will be numerous opportunities to get involved with the association. Mr. Garcia plans for more events and meetings after Spring Break.

“For the class of 2024 and beyond, I would want them to remember where they came from. Remember their roots. Remember what the school has done for them. At least the opportunities that were offered,” added Mr. Garcia. “From there I hope that all of the alumni can find a way to give back to our kids because that’s where we come from. That’s who we are.”

View Comments (1)