Announcements:
  • May 11After School Jags: On May 22nd, there will be an Open Mic and Art Showcase. So sign up today!
  • May 11Flag Football: Open workouts will be hosted in the Jaguar Stadium Monday through Thursday (3:45 - 5pm) until May 23rd.
  • May 11Boy's Soccer: An Informational meeting will be held in C-210, after school on May 21st.
  • May 7Color Guard: Tryouts will be held on May 14th and May 16th from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
The Student News Site of Segerstrom High School

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Segerstrom News

Newest club on campus for aspiring medical field workers

Image courtesy of Stephanie Campos
Two Med Scholars Society members collaborate on the first frog dissection during a club meeting.

The Med Scholars Society, a club offered at Segerstrom, was recently established at the beginning of this school year by Diana Guillen (12) and Stephanie Campos (11).

Students interested in pursuing careers in the medical field may find it overwhelming to identify a specific area of study they want to specialize in. MSS aims to help aspiring healthcare professionals look for the right career for them.

“We know that the medical field has various career opportunities and educational paths, which can be confusing for students,” co-president Guillen shares. “Therefore, we want to provide guidance and support [for] these students. We have observed that many people are taking Medical Core at Valley High School along with other medical classes, so we decided to create an additional resource for them.”

There are two main activities that MSS members participate in: dissections and guest speaker events. Currently, they are studying the anatomy and physiology of frogs.

“During our first dissection, led by Mrs. Do, we examined the frog’s liver, intestines, and muscles, among other organs. Dissecting animals is a great way to learn more about the human body as it closely mimics our own organs and systems,” says Guillen. “Additionally, we invite guest speakers from the medical field to share their experiences and knowledge with our members. These talks are meant to inspire and educate students about the different medical professions available, including the education required, job responsibilities, and more.”

Despite the club having recently been founded, Guillen and Campos have ambitious plans for this new endeavor.

“To make this club a more enjoyable experience, we are planning on having an end-of-the-year white coat ceremony where club members will be able to enjoy a nice meal with other participants,” Campos adds. “We plan on giving members with sufficient points white club hoodies in honor of showing their dedication to the club and their journey to becoming medical professionals.”

Science teacher Mrs. Do, the teacher advisor of the club, observes these students’ work and commitment to expanding the organization. “They’re … doing some fundraising so that they can purchase more items for dissections but [they’re also] hoping the seniors can get some sort of stoles and just kind of make the club very official,” she says. “They’re looking into contacting OBGYNs, dentists, and other people in the medical profession to come in and talk to them.”

For students interested in joining the Med Scholars Society, club meetings take place every other Friday after school in Mrs. Do’s classroom, room D-306.

Campos strongly encourages prospective healthcare workers to join the budding organization. “Through this club, we hope to open the door for students to feel more prepared to enter the medical field, ensuring that they are aware of the possibilities and the future that potentially awaits them.”

View Comments (2)